Sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (Dutch oven ver.). This recipe for a sourdough rye bread is quite simple. But it will give you bread with lots of taste and character from the rye. As I mentioned earlier, I used both rye and wheat flour for this recipe.
Cover with a damp kitchen towel and leave in a. We want to teach you how to make sourdough bread with and without a dutch oven because as simple as sourdough bread is to make the barrier of entry can be. You are here Artisan Sourdough Rye Bread.
Hey everyone, I hope you are having an incredible day today. Today, we’re going to prepare a distinctive dish, sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (dutch oven ver.). One of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I’m gonna make it a bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
Sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (Dutch oven ver.) is one of the most popular of recent trending foods in the world. It is simple, it’s quick, it tastes delicious. It’s appreciated by millions every day. Sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (Dutch oven ver.) is something which I’ve loved my entire life. They’re fine and they look fantastic.
This recipe for a sourdough rye bread is quite simple. But it will give you bread with lots of taste and character from the rye. As I mentioned earlier, I used both rye and wheat flour for this recipe.
To begin with this recipe, we have to prepare a few ingredients. You can cook sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (dutch oven ver.) using 15 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (Dutch oven ver.):
- Take of Rye Sourdough Pre-dough:.
- Take of rye sourdough starter.
- Take of rye flour.
- Take of warm water.
- Make ready of Main Dough:.
- Prepare of rye flour.
- Get of bread flour (wheat).
- Prepare of spelt flour (or use more bread flour).
- Get of salt.
- Get of warm water (40-50°C/105-122°F).
- Make ready of honey or molasses.
- Prepare of Optional:.
- Get of caraway seeds.
- Get of sunflower seeds.
- Take of medium sized Dutch oven pot with lid (Staub, Le creuset, etc).
On Rye: Higher in protein, phosphorus, iron and potassium than wheat. It's high in lysine, low in gluten and very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. Sourdough rye bread is a traditional, artisan-style bread made from a blend of light and dark rye flours and sourdough starter. Rye flour contains a weaker gluten matrix than wheat flour (gluten is the protein that gives bread structure as they rise).
Instructions to make Sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (Dutch oven ver.):
- Mix the ingredients for the sourdough pre-dough in a medium bowl. Cover and let the sourdough pre-dough set at room temperature for 20-22 hours. (alternatively use 160 g of active rye sourdough starter – 100% hydration)..
- Mix the the flours, salt (and caraway/sunflower seeds) in a bowl..
- In a separate bowl, mix the rye sourdough pre-dough with warm water and honey/molasses..
- Mix the dry ingredients with the sourdough mixture until all ingredients are very well mixed, 5-10 minutes. You can use your hands or a wooden spoon, etc. The dough is sticky and like a paste, so you don't need to knead it like you would other breads..
- After mixing :).
- You can keep the dough in the same bowl, then cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 60-90 minutes at 24-25°C (75-77°F). If it's quite cold, then it will take around 3 hours..
- Remove from bowl and place into a floured working space. Form into a round boule shape by folding over the edges of the dough into the center..
- Dust the shaped dough with rye flour and place fold-side down into a flour dusted proofing basket (banneton). Let rise again for about 2 hours..
- After rising, it will be significantly larger (about 1.5 times bigger).
- When nearing baking time, preheat oven to 250°C/480°F. Put a Dutch oven/Le creuset or other cast iron enameled pot into the oven while preheating..
- When the dough is ready to go and your oven is preheated, remove the pot from the oven, then carefully remove the dough from the banneton and place it into the hot pot so that the round side is now facing up..
- Bake for about 30-45 minutes (my oven is pretty weak so it takes 45 minutes. For the last 10-15 minutes, remove the lid of the pot so the crust can get a nice color..
- Let cool for a few hours or up to half a day until slicing. this will let the flavors of the bread develop further..
- It doesn't look much different, but here's the version I made with a nice schwarzbier/stout beer. It smells amazing, quite different the non-beer version..
For this reason, it tends to produce a denser bread. Rye bread comes in many shapes and sizes, and this sourdough rye bread is based on the German style "Mischbrot" using part rye and part wheat. It's a bit lighter than a full-on rye, but packed with wonderful flavor. This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. Soft and flavorful sourdough with spices, rye and whole wheat.
So that is going to wrap it up for this special food sourdough rye bread with spelt and wheat (dutch oven ver.) recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I am sure you can make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page in your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!