Navy Bean & Bacon Soup. The navy bean, haricot, pearl haricot bean, Boston bean, white pea bean, or pea bean is a variety of the common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) native to the Americas, where it was domesticated. It is a dry white bean that is smaller than many other types of white beans, and has an oval. These small white beans are perfect for making baked beans.
This navy bean potato onion soup is a complete meal with simple ingredients. It is super easy to make and absolutely tasty. (#lowfat #vegan #glutenfree) via. We've rounded up our favorite navy bean recipes, whether you are using canned beans, or starting Tip: If using dried beans, soak them overnight before cooking, for the tenderest, creamiest beans.
Hey everyone, hope you’re having an incredible day today. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, navy bean & bacon soup. One of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Navy Bean & Bacon Soup is one of the most favored of recent trending foods in the world. It’s enjoyed by millions every day. It is simple, it is fast, it tastes yummy. Navy Bean & Bacon Soup is something that I have loved my entire life. They are nice and they look wonderful.
The navy bean, haricot, pearl haricot bean, Boston bean, white pea bean, or pea bean is a variety of the common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) native to the Americas, where it was domesticated. It is a dry white bean that is smaller than many other types of white beans, and has an oval. These small white beans are perfect for making baked beans.
To begin with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few ingredients. You can cook navy bean & bacon soup using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to make Navy Bean & Bacon Soup:
- Prepare 1 lb of dried navy beans.
- Get 12 oz of thick cut bacon – slices cut across to 1/2" strips.
- Take 1 of medium yellow onion – diced.
- Make ready 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of dried parsley.
- Get 6 cups of water.
- Take 1 cup of diced carrots.
- Get to taste of salt and pepper.
Navy beans are a common type of bean native to the Americas. They are small, dry, white, and have a somewhat flattened oval shape. Popular preparations for navy beans include baked bean dishes, pies. Navy beans are pea sized white beans which can be used in a variety of dishes.
Instructions to make Navy Bean & Bacon Soup:
- Sort beans to remove any broken/bad beans or other abnormalities. Such as what is pictured here..
- Soak beans using one of the 2 following methods. Overnight: Place beans in a large bowl with 6-8 cups cold water and allow to soak at least 12 hrs. OR Quick Soak (which I prefer): Place beans in large pot (about 6 quart size). Add 6-8 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat, cover, let sit 1-2 hrs. Drain and rinse beans in a large colander. Set aside. Do not save soak water..
- If you quick soaked just rinse the pot you used. Place pot on stove over medium-high heat. When hot add all of bacon. Cook until browned and crisp, stirring occasionally..
- Add onion, garlic powder, and parsley (do not remove bacon or drain fat). Cook 2 minutes more stirring constantly. Return beans to pot. Add 6 cups cold water. Stir to combine. Do NOT add any salt or pepper yet..
- Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes. Cover with lid slightly offset to vent. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hrs, adding carrots in last 30 minutes. Check and stir occasionally..
- When beans are tender use a slotted spoon to transfer about 1/2 cup to a medium bowl. Mash beans with fork and stir back into soup. Add salt and pepper to taste at this time (I went with a heaping tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp pepper). Serve with cornbread if desired. Enjoy!.
- See notes below ⤵.
- For those who do not know, the primary reason for not salting beans as they cook is because the added salt has the tendency to prevent the beans from becoming tender. I'm personally not sure of the exact reason, but I do know from personal experience that this is accurate so I always salt beans after they are tender..
Most markets carry navy beans, typically in both dried and canned form, and they are also very easy to grow in the. Find navy bean stock images in HD and millions of other royalty-free stock photos, illustrations and vectors in the Shutterstock collection. Navy beans may seem ordinary or unimpressive, but they hold a number of health benefits for us, including their ability to boost cognition and memory, protect the heart, optimize digestion. Navy … From formal English to slang. With a warm, neutral flavor and creamy texture, navy beans make a great addition to many meals.
So that’s going to wrap it up with this special food navy bean & bacon soup recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I’m sure that you will make this at home. There is gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!